Read Across America is presented by:
Join the Blazer as we celebrate
‘Read Across America’
on March 2nd.
underwritten by Old National Bank,
serving the entire WVUB listening area.
Where their motto is “Your Bank For Life”
Take the Read Across America Pledge HERE!
WHY YOU SHOULD READ ALOUD TO YOUR KIDS
Reading aloud to children is one of the most important things you can do to ensure their future success. Here are some reasons to start (or continue) reading aloud to your kids.
- Build a lifelong interest in reading.
- Children whose parents read to them tend to become better readers and perform better in school, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
- Reading to kids helps them with language and speech development.
- It expands kids’ vocabulary and teaches children how to pronounce new words.
- Reading to toddlers prepares them for school, during which they will need to listen to what is being said to them (similar to what they do while being read to).
- Reading to older kids helps them understand grammar and correct sentence structure.
- Kids and parents can use reading time as bonding time. It’s an excellent opportunity for one-on-one communication, and it gives kids the attention they crave.
- Being read to builds children’s attention spans and helps them hone their listening skills.
- Curiosity, creativity and imagination are all developed while being read to.
- Being read to helps kids learn how to express themselves clearly and confidently.
- Kids learn appropriate behavior when they’re read to, and are exposed to new situations, making them more prepared when they encounter these situations in real life.
- When read to, children are able to experience the rhythm and melody of language even before they can understand the spoken or printed word.
Information about some of our great local libraries:
Knox County Library
Mon-Wed 8:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m.
Thu-Sat 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sun 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Princeton Public Library
Mon-Thur 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
Fri-Sat 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Washington City Library
Mon-Tue 12:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Wed-Fri 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Sat 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Lawrence Public Library
Mon, Wed, Fri 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Tue, Thur 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Sat 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.